You may revoke your consent to this policy. To revoke your consent, please contact us. If you revoke your consent, your account and profile information will be removed from our service.
Information collected on our sites and applications is stored in the United States.
Information We Collect
We collect information about you when you use our sites and applications. We receive and store this information when you enter it on our website and applications, send it to us, or provide it to us in any other way.
We collect information when you choose to give it to us or authorize us to collect it on your behalf. This includes:
- Contact information like name, email address, street address, and phone number;
- Professional skills and endorsements;
- Background check information;
- Information about professional licenses and certifications;
- Vehicle registration information and associated insurance information;
- Information imported by you from third party applications;
- Information you provide to us when you contact Monster;
- Credit card number and billing information (for services requiring payment);
- Your race, ethnicity, or gender, if you choose to provide it. Some employers are required by law to collect this information on a voluntary basis; and
- Information about your business, such as company name, size, and business type.
Single Sign-on: If you choose to sign in to Monster with Google or similar services, we import the requested information from your account and we make it part of your profile.
Information automatically collected about you when you use Monster
We gather certain information automatically when you visit our site or use our mobile applications. This information includes:
- Your activity on Monster, including the app features and jobs you search for, view, and apply to
- Your internet protocol (IP) address and internet service provider (ISP)
- Your browser type and device ID
- the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.)
- operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data
This data is collected about you automatically and is processed for Monster’s legitimate interest. We combine this information with personal data to help detect and prevent fraud. We also combine this data with your profile and resume data to return the best job search results to you.
Device Information. Monster receives information about your mobile device including IP address, web browser type, mobile operating system version, phone carrier and manufacturer, application installations, device identifiers, mobile advertising identifiers, and push notification tokens.
Information collected about you from third parties
Background Information. Monster works with third party partners to obtain background checks for jobseekers that choose to include background information as part of their employment applications. This includes, but is not limited to, driving record and licensure background checks for jobseekers that opt to receive such services along with other publicly available information. We do not share background check information with employers until you choose to apply to a job or schedule an interview with a recruiter.
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide our services, respond to you, operate and improve our sites and applications, and foster a positive user experience.
We use information with your consent as described at the time we collect that consent. This includes account creation and resume upload.
We use personal data for our legitimate interests, namely:
- To operate our services;
- To contact and communicate with you when you contact us;
- To analyze, improve and optimize Monster services; and
- To protect Monster Services and the rights of users and others
- To enforce terms of Monster’s services and prevent fraud and abuse of Monster systems
By registering with BetterThing, by managing your profile, by publicly posting information, or by opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information in the following ways:
To provide you with our services, which include:
- to create an account for you, including any resume you create or upload;
- to enable you to search for and apply to jobs;
- to add information gathered from your background check to your profile or job application to employers;
- to schedule interviews between you and employers;
- to help potential employers contact you;
- to make purchases;
- to enable you to contact us and for us to respond to you;
- to send you text messages and push notifications;
- to display targeted recruitment messages from employers;
- to contact you with service-related communications and security updates;
- to provide information about you and your interest in job postings to employers;
- to provide products and services to employer customers to complete the recruitment and hiring process;
- to provide personalized, targeted, or location-based content, services, and advertising from us and third parties;
- to send you job alerts, newsletters, career advice, or other marketing communications you have opted in to receive;
- to conduct surveys, promotions and contests, and to publish the results thereof;
To improve our services
- to conduct analytics and generate internal reports about the use of our sites and applications;
- to track which jobs you search for, view, and apply to;
For security and fraud prevention
- to detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal; and
- to make suggestions and draw inferences about you. For example, we may make suggestions about people you may know or additional jobs, products or services that might be of interest to you.
Our services include the display of personalized products, content, and advertising relating to your career experience and interests. We use data we have about you to determine whether you might be interested in the opportunities, products or services of a particular third party. We show you targeted ads online. These ads are targeted based on information we collect about you and information about you we acquire from third parties.
How We Share Information
We provide you with a platform to broadcast information about yourself to maximize your career opportunities. The information we gather may be shared with the following categories of third parties:
- The Monster group of companies on a worldwide basis;
- Employers, when you apply to a job, or schedule an interview;
- Other companies hired to provide services on Monster’s behalf;
- Other third parties where required by law;
- Other third parties when you give your consent.
By applying to a job, providing your contact information to show interest in a job, or by replying to a message from an employer, you consent to the disclosure of your information to that employer and to be contacted by such employer for employment related purposes.
We do not share contact information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless you affirmatively agree to such disclosure. We also share information in the following ways
1. We share your information with our service providers, which are third parties who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples of these services include hosting our web servers and site databases, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing customer management tools, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose. We will remain responsible for any information shared in this way.
2. We disclose information to third parties when you give your consent for us to do so. For example:
(a) if you schedule an interview or apply to a job, we will share your profile, resume, and background check with that employer;
(b) if you consent to a background check, we will send your personal information to our background check partner for the purpose of obtaining your background check;
(c) if you opt in to receive information about the products or services of third parties, we supply your contact information to those third parties so they may contact you.
We share aggregated information (including location data) about BetterThing users with third parties to serve advertisements to you online. We also aggregate data regarding job qualifications, schooling, age, experience level or other information relevant to the job search. This aggregated data does not identify users individually, and may be made available to employers or shared publicly.
3. We disclose information if legally required to do so, or at our discretion pursuant to a request from a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith - after considering your privacy interests and other factors - that such action is necessary to: (a) meet legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies; (c) investigate fraud, prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
4. We may disclose and transfer personal information to a third party who acquires any or all of Monster’s business units, including BetterThing, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event Monster becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, such information will be disposed of in a transaction approved by the court.
An Important Note About Your Resume and Background Check
When you create a resume, we store it in our resume and profile database in the United States. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of resumes that have been viewed and saved by others.
Background information will not be visible to employers until you have applied to a position or scheduled an interview with an employer. When you schedule an interview, your resume and background information, it will be transferred to the relevant employer, who may retain a copy of it.
Once your resume and background information has been disclosed, Monster is not able to retrieve it from the third parties who accessed it. If your resume includes personal data of a reference, it is your responsibility to ensure that the person is aware that you have forwarded his/her details and has consented in writing for you to do so.
Resumes you give to us must not contain sensitive data relating to your (i) racial or ethnic origin (ii) political beliefs (iii) philosophical or religious beliefs (iv) membership of a trade union or political party (v) physical or mental health or biometric details or genetic makeup (vi) addictions or sexual life (vii) the commission of criminal offences or proceedings and associated penalties or fines, (viii) the commission of any unlawful or objectionable conduct and associated penalties, or (ix) any Social Security Number or national identification number. If you do give us this information, then you agree that it is at your own risk.
Access to and Storage of Your Personal Information
Data Retention: Because managing your career is a life-long process, we retain all the information we gather about you in an effort to make repeat use of our sites more efficient, practical and relevant until you change or remove your personal information as described below. We may retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Access to your Personal Data Upon request Monster will provide you with access to information we hold about you. You may access, update, or delete your resume or profile at any time. To do so, open the app, go to your resume or profile, and make the desired changes. If you do not have an account, or if you believe that someone else has provided us with your contact information, please contact us.
Access to, or correction, update, or deletion of your personal information may be denied or limited by Monster if it would violate another person’s rights and/or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
You are responsible for keeping your username and password secret.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We utilize a variety of safeguards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. Monster takes appropriate measures to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure. You can find additional information on conducting a safe job search in Monster’s Security Center.
When you place an order online at Monster, your credit card information is encrypted with industry standard encryption.
BetterThing is not intended for, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 16.
Your data is submitted to Monster Worldwide, Inc. and is hosted and stored in a database on servers situated in the United States. Monster Worldwide, Inc., a Delaware corporation with its principal place of business at 133 Boston Post Road, Weston, MA 02493, USA, is the legal entity determining the purposes and means of processing the information gathered on Monster sites and applications and is the data controller of all data Monster collects from you. Monster Worldwide, Inc. is also a data controller of personal data collected on this site.
Monster Worldwide, Inc.
133 Boston Post Road
Weston, MA 02493
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not address satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Notice to California Residents: See more information on your California privacy rights.
Last updated January 15, 2019